Thursday, September 25, 2008

Using Microblogs in Training and Development

I have read many articles on using microblogs such as Twitter for education. Essentially all the articles rehash the same information and really don't give you any information on how to effectively use these tools. I can definitely see advantages to using them, but I currently work for a company that is clearly divided between generation "Y" and the Baby Boomers. If you could develop a cohesive use of technology that can be used across the breadth of the organization then that would be something.

Other issues to consider is how the participants will access the info from behind "the wall" as I call it. As with any new technology, corporate IT groups fear what they don't understand or fear the misuse of technologies like this. I have seen a number of enterprise tools that attempt to bring microblogging within the wall, but for many companies it is not an option that they want to support or pay for.

The great thing about some of the tools out there are than in many cases they are free, but with more and more "blocking" of sites within the corporate walled world it becomes harder for employees to access the tools.

I have talked to many friends who work for IT companies and they are always amazed at how many websites are blocked by the company I work for. What they do not realize is many companies are slow to embrace these new technologies. The sad thing is these new tools are exactly what is needed to engage the new workforce who has grown up using these the "intranets" as an afterthought.

I guess there are many questions to be answered. If you have any comments please let me know.

No comments: